The pilot sought to impact learning outcomes for children in Vehari and Mandi Bahauddin, in early grade numeracy and literacy and Grade 5 mathematics, by strengthening teachers’ knowledge and pedagogical techniques.
- Teachers provided tablets with required content and supporting material and trained to deliver the contents effectively in classrooms.
- Formative assessments of teachers and students with immediately available results
- Engagement of parents through community activities
- Weekly reading and math camps for children Results: after school hours
The pilot had 86,992 individual beneficiaries including:
- 373 teachers
- 30 DSD officials
- 26,000 children attending treatment schools
- 46,226 children attending community activities
- 14,240 parents (70% mothers)
Compared to their counterparts in the control group, children in target schools gained
- 30% more in early grade literacy,
- 144% more in early grade numeracy and
- 25% more in Grade 5 math skills.
The highest gainers were the children, who struggle in classrooms and are therefore, at risk of dropping out.
Teachers attending the training found it to be more effective than the existing model of teacher training. A majority also stated that they were more successful in engaging students positively affecting classroom performance.
The project has been endorsed by
- Directorate of Staff Development*
- Executive District Officer, Vehari
- Punjab Teachers Union Vehari
- Punjab Teacher’s Union, Mandi Bahauddin
- District Training and Support Centre, Vehari
Comcept Pvt. Ltd.