Promoting good governance through greater transparency
We work with provincial and district governments to promote transparency, accountability and citizens’ participation in the budgeting process to improve governance by making budgets more responsive to communities’ needs. Improving the transparency of the budgetary process and making it more accountable to the people entails the following:
- Reviewing the existing budget practices to assess local government’s performance on recognized parameters and recommending reformatory initiatives for improving performance. The parameters include:
- Availability of the budget information both at the time of allocation and consistently throughout the spending process
- Opportunity for local communities to participate in the budgeting process
- Independent and effective oversight and audit institutions
- Assisting government institutions in establishing effective mechanisms for pre-budget consultations to enhance public participation in the decision-making process.
- Supporting efforts for effective and timely dissemination of the budget information among local communities.
- Supporting transition to output-based budgeting to enhance the efficiency of government spending by delineating clear targets for improvements in service delivery based on public opinion.
- Continuous monitoring of the expenditure to analyze its impact on service delivery outcomes and on people’s well being.